On 29 Jue, Munich Airport’s Terminal 2 formally celebrated its 20th anniversary. The celebrations were made by Flughafen München GmbH (FMG) and Deutsche Lufthansa AG.
The two companies stand behind the Terminal building, which has carried passengers in and out since 2003. Thus far, Terminal 2 has reportedly been used by 475 million passengers over those twenty years.
FMG and Lufthansa operate Terminal 2 and the satellite building in close cooperation. FMG holds a 60 percent share in the terminal, whilst the other 40 belongs to Lufthansa.
The airline, along with its partner airlines and Star Alliance are exclusive users of the terminal building
Happy Birthday, T2
Flughafen München GmbH (FMG) and Deutsche Lufthansa AG have expressed their congratulations to Munich Airport’s Terminal 2, a mutual project which became operative in 2003.
This partnership between an airport and an airline remains unique worldwide and has been gradually further developed.
The terminal has however not remained untouched, as it in 2016 saw a satellite building being added. Over the past 20 years, the Terminal 2 system has been used by around 475 million travellers. A total of 5.1 million flights were handled during that period.
On the celebrations of Terminal 2, Albert Füracker, Bavarian Minister for Finance and Supervisory Board Chairman of Flughafen München GmbH, said: “Munich Airport’s Terminal 2 represents the extremely successful partnership between the airport and Lufthansa.”
“After 20 years, it still stands for hospitality, comfort, modernity and sustainability. The basis for this success is the many dedicated and friendly employees, who were recently awarded Europe’s best airport staff, and rightly so.”
“Thanks to Terminal 2, Munich Airport has been able to develop into one of the most modern and efficient aviation hubs in the world. As Bavaria’s gateway to the world, Munich Airport is invaluable to Bavaria.”
Jost Lammers, CEO of FMG, also commented, saying: “When Flughafen München GmbH and Deutsche Lufthansa AG joined forces to plan, build and operate a terminal together, they launched something unprecedented in the aviation industry.”
Lufthansa AG statement
“Terminal 2 at Munich Airport, which we have been operating together with FMG for 20 years now, represents the unique operational and strategic cooperation between the airport company and the Lufthansa Group,” said Chairman of the Executive Board of Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Carsten Spohr.
Mr. Spohr added: “As Lufthansa’s southern hub, the terminal was at the heart of our successful multi-hub strategy. After 20 years, it is still a leader in quality, premium service and technical innovations.”
“Our passengers appreciate T2 not only for travel to and from Munich, but it is also one of the world’s most popular transfer terminals.”
The T2 Terminal – Twelve facts
With the celebration of twenty years service, Munich Airport have provided twelve facts about the terminal – here they are!
- The terminal has seen 475 million travellers in 20 years
- The terminal had 20 airlines at the start – Lufthansa and Star Alliance partners
- The terminal is under a unique partnership between Lufthansa and the airport
- The terminal features 161 gates
- The terminal features twelve Lufthansa-Lounges
- The terminal is run on innovative heating, cooling and lighting technology
- In twenty years, Terminal 2 has handled 5.1 million flights
- Terminal 2 handles up to 670 daily flights, to over 149 destinations and 50 countries
- There are 79 check-in desks and 33 baggage machines present for the terminal to run efficiently
- There are 90 shops and restaurants across the airport terminal
- The building covers 9,000 square meters in total area
- The terminal utilises state-of-the-art technology for passenger handling