Gatwick Airport Welcomes New Chief Operating Officer

Photo of new Heathrow Airport Chief Operating Officer Mark Johnston.
Photo Credit: Gatwick Airport

London Gatwick Airport has welcomed a new Chief Operating Officer this week. Experienced and seasoned airport leader Mark Johnston has commenced as London Gatwick’s Chief Operating Officer (COO).

Johnson brings a wealth of experience in airport management to the key operation role for the London airport.

Mark Johnston: Background and Experience

Mark Johnston brings over two decades of extensive experience to his new role at London Gatwick. Prior to joining the Gatwick team, he served as the COO of AGS Airports.

This involved overseeing operations at Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Southampton airports. His tenure at AGS Airports spanned more than three years.

During his tenture, he demonstrated his expertise in various technical and professional domains.

Chief Operating Officer at London Gatwick

In his capacity as COO, Mark Johnston will be instrumental in ensuring the safe, efficient, and seamless operation of London Gatwick on a day-to-day basis.

His leadership will be crucial in driving key strategic projects, including the implementation of next-generation security measures and optimizing aerodrome performance.

Additionally, he will oversee critical departments such as passenger operations, security, and aerodrome management.

One of Johnston’s primary responsibilities will be to spearhead key strategic projects aimed at enhancing London Gatwick’s operational capabilities.

This includes the rollout of advanced security systems and initiatives to improve aerodrome performance, ultimately enhancing the overall passenger experience.

Transition from AGS Airports to LGW

Mark Johnston’s transition from AGS Airports to London Gatwick marks a significant milestone in his career.

Having held various leadership positions at Glasgow Airport before assuming the role of COO at AGS Airports, Johnston’s expertise and leadership skills are well-established within the aviation industry.

This week at London Gatwick, Mark Johnston expressed his enthusiasm for joining the UK’s second busiest airport.

He commended the exceptional team at Gatwick for their dedication to delivering a personalized and efficient experience for all passengers.

“It is an incredibly exciting time to be joining London Gatwick and I am thoroughly looking forward to getting started and meeting all the team,” he said.

An aerial view of London Gatwick Airport
Photo Credit: Gatwick Airport

London Gatwick is the UK’s second largest airport and is a vital piece of national infrastructure that helps drive both the regional and national economy. 

More than 40 airlines fly from the airport to over 150 short-haul and more than 45 long-haul destinations. 

The airport is focused on rebuilding and growing sustainably in the long term. It has ambitious plans to be a net zero airport by 2030 and increase capacity by bringing its Northern runway into routine use. 

Vinci Airports owns a 50.01% stake in the airport, with Global Infrastructure Partners managing the remaining 49.99% interest.

Interior view of Gatwick Airport terminal.
Photo Credit: Gatwick Airport

Gatwick CEO Comments

Stewart Wingate, CEO of London Gatwick, hailed Mark Johnston’s appointment as a significant addition to the airport’s leadership team.

Recognizing Johnston’s proven track record as a COO, Wingate expressed confidence in his ability to oversee operations, forge strategic partnerships, and enhance the overall passenger experience at Gatwick.

Mark Johnston will succeed John Higgins, who served as interim Chief Operating Officer at London Gatwick since January 2023.

Higgins, who also held the role of Business Improvement Director at the airport, played a pivotal role in leading operations during a period of significant growth and expansion.

LGW Future Plans

London Gatwick is committed to investing in its long-term future, with plans to bring its existing Northern Runway into routine use.

This initiative aims to enhance airport resilience, reduce delays, and stimulate economic growth by supporting trade, tourism, and job creation.

Did you know AviationSource has two newsletters? One covers the general news and analysis of the industry as a whole, and the other to do with emergencies that take place throughout the year! To subscribe to our General News Newsletter, CLICK HERE!
To subscribe to our Emergencies, Accidents & Incidents Newsletter, CLICK HERE!

Click the photo to join our WhatsApp channel so then you can stay up to date with everything going on in the aviation industry!

By Len Varley - Assistant Editor 5 Min Read
5 Min Read
You Might Also Enjoy