Did you know that at this moment, Bogota is the busiest airport in South America? Let’s take a deep dive into it with RadarBox.com.
The airport is comfortably ahead of its other competitors across the continent, with two of Sao Paulo’s airports in the top three spots.
Without further ado, let’s get into the numbers…
As per data from RadarBox.com, Bogota’s airport handled 886 movements between May 9-16, which is a decrease of 0.67% compared to the same period last year.
However, this figure is around 128 movements higher than in the same period in 2019, which still highlights strong post-pandemic growth.
Below is the last four weeks’ worth of data for the airport:
|Date||2019 Numbers||2022 Numbers||2023 Numbers||Percentage Difference (2023 vs. 2022)|
|April 11-18||809 movements||814 movements||851 movements||+4.55%|
|April 18-25||862 movements||851 movements||868 movements||+2.00%|
|April 25-May 2||758 movements||878 movements||885 movements||+0.80%|
|May 2-9||744 movements||904 movements||891 movements||-1.44%|
What we can see from the data is that Bogota appears to be operating at its peak maximum demand and is beating pre-COVID levels sufficiently.
Top 10 Busiest Airports in South America…
The Top 10 busiest airports in South America are as follows based on the seven-day rolling average provided by the flight tracking company:
- Bogota – 897 average daily movements
- Sao Paulo GRU – 709 average daily movements.
- Sao Paulo CGH – 579 average daily movements.
- Lima – 500 average daily movements.
- Santiago – 385 average daily movements.
- Buenos Aires – 357 average daily movements.
- Brasilia – 348 average daily movements.
- Rio de Janeiro – 344 average daily movements.
- Campinas – 344 average daily movements.
- Belo Horizonte – 251 average daily movements.
What we can see from the data is that Brazil occupies a lot of that Top 10 space. However, it is Bogota that comes out top on this.
Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see how much further movements can be pushed in the Summer 2023 season for the Sao Paulo airports, especially if they want any chance at getting the #1 spot.