Lufthansa Group tests Green Fares on 12 long-haul routes

A Lufthansa jet in flight above mountains.
Photo Credit: Lufthansa

The Lufthansa Group has extended its Green Fares to long-haul flights. As a first step, the fare structure is initially being tested on twelve selected routes. 

Growing demand for Green Fares has already seen the airline cater for more than half a million guests.

Starting this week on November 30, this pilot program will cover twelve carefully selected routes, connecting Lufthansa Group hubs with destinations worldwide.

Green Fares: A Global Reach

The selection of routes is diverse, catering to various travel preferences. From the bustling Frankfurt – Bengaluru route to the exotic Brussels – Kinshasa connection, or the glamour of Zurich – Los Angeles, the Green Fares are set to make a mark.

Moreover, passengers booking flights with Lufthansa Group airlines will automatically be presented with the eco-friendly Green Fares tariff, enhancing accessibility and awareness.


Etihad affiliate link banner

“People want to fly and be mobile, they want to explore the world, visit friends and family, or seal deals in person.”

“The growing demand for our Green Fares fare shows that more and more people want to travel as sustainably as possible. We support them with suitable offers,” expresses Christina Foerster, Member of the Lufthansa Group Executive Board responsible for Brand & Sustainability.

This sentiment captures the essence of the initiative, aligning the joy of travel with a commitment to sustainability.

Green Fares on Long-Haul Flights

Harry Hohmeister, Member of the Lufthansa Group Executive Board responsible for Global Markets & Network, applauds the expansion of innovative services for more sustainable flying.

The introduction of Green Fares on selected long-haul flights across all hub airlines showcases the strength of Lufthansa Group’s multi-hub and multi-brand strategy, positioning them as global pioneers in sustainable aviation.

Photo Credit: Lufthansa

From Europe to the World

Having successfully introduced Green Fares for European and North African routes in February, the Lufthansa Group has witnessed a surge in customer interest.

Over half a million passengers have chosen Green Fares flights since the launch, emphasizing a growing trend towards eco-conscious travel choices.

Offsetting Carbon Emissions

The Green Fares not only offer a seamless and easy booking experience but also provide a comprehensive solution for offsetting individual, flight-related CO2 emissions.

With a simple click, passengers contribute to the use of Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) and support high-quality climate protection projects.

Biofuels production in Brazil Photo: Lufthansa

SAF reduces 10% of CO2 emissions, while the remaining 90% is offset through certified climate protection projects.

The Lufthansa Group’s commitment to sustainability extends beyond offsetting carbon emissions. The compensation portfolio, comprising 15 projects, includes recent additions focused on technology-based solutions for the long-term binding of CO2.

Partnering with esteemed providers like myclimate, Climate Austria, SQUAKE, and ClimatePartner, the group aims to drive the development of the CO2 compensation market towards cutting-edge technologies.

Twelve Selected Test Routes

The Green Fares long-haul fare will grace twelve selected routes, operated by Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, and SWISS. These routes include:

  1. Frankfurt – Bengaluru (FRA – BLR)
  2. Munich – Seoul (MUC – ICN)
  3. Brussels – Kinshasa (BRU – FIH)
  4. Zurich – Los Angeles (ZRH – LAX)
  5. Frankfurt – Miami (FRA – MIA)
  6. Singapore – London (SIN – LHR/LCY)
  7. Sao Paulo – Zurich (GRU – ZRH)
  8. Nairobi – Frankfurt (NBO – FRA)
  9. Bangkok – Vienna (BKK – VIE)
  10. Hong Kong – London (HKG – LHR/LCY)
  11. London – Hong Kong (LHR/LCY – HKG)
  12. Paris – Bangkok (CDG/ORY – BKK)

Click the banner to subscribe to our weekly newsleter.

Click the photo to join our WhatsApp channel so then you can stay up to date with everything going on in the aviation industry!

By Len Varley - Assistant Editor 4 Min Read
4 Min Read
You Might Also Enjoy