Lufthansa Group Launches Green Fares

Photo Credit: James Field/AviationSource

This week it has been revealed that the Lufthansa Group has launched green fares and carried 200,000 passengers in just 100 days.

This article will cover the details surrounding the Lufthansa Group’s new green fares and 200,000 passengers carried in only 100 days.

Lufthansa Group Launches Green Fares & Carries 200K Passengers in 100 Days

Photo Credit: Joris Wendt/AviationSource

The Lufthansa Group has become the world’s first airline group to offer a new fare to its passengers in the support of offsetting CO2 emissions with more sustainable ‘Green’ travel.

Since implementing their new Green Fares option back in mid-February 2023, in the first 100 days, 200,000 passengers have opted for Green Fares flights across the Lufthansa Group on services within Europe or across to North America.


So far the route that has had the most Green Fares opted for is with SWISS on its international Zurich to London service, followed by Lufthansa’s domestic route between Hamburg and Munich.

How do the Green Fares Work?

So how do the Lufthansa Group’s new Green Fares work? – Well, to start things off, passengers who opt for a Green Fare will promote the group to utilise 20% Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) on their flight, followed by the remaining 80% being contributed to high-quality climate projects.

Passengers will also receive some benefits with the Green Fares option with the ability to earn additional status miles and a free flight rebooking option.

The Green Fare can be selected on all Lufthansa Group airlines, those are; Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Edelweiss, Eurowings Discover, and Air Dolomiti.

Not only do the new Green Fares options help the group stride even further into achieving zero carbon emissions by 2050, but also their constant fleet renewal to much more efficient aircraft that have the full capability to operate on SAF which helps to reduce their carbon emissions significantly.

By Jamie Clarke 2 Min Read
2 Min Read
You Might Also Enjoy