LONDON – The new international airport in Mopa, Goa became officially operational today, receiving its first commercial passenger flight. Indian carrier IndiGo flight 6E 6145 became the commercial flight to land at the new airport, named as Manohar International Airport – Mopa (GOX).
The inaugural flight was operated direct from Hyderabad (HYD) to Manohar International Airport (MOX) in North Goa by an IndiGo Airbus A320.
Goa is a leisure and recreational travel destination and the new route further increases IndiGo’s regional connectivity. The carrier already operates services into the South Goa airport of Goa Dabolim.
Speaking on the occasion of the flight to the newly opened airport, Chief Executive Officer for Indigo, Pieter Elbers said: “We are excited and proud with this largest ever, new station opening for us at New North Goa International Airport in Mopa.”
It’s momentous for us at IndiGo to have such a massive opening and it speaks to our ambition and endeavour to provide connectivity, ease of accessibility and ever more options for our customers to one of the most visited tourist destinations of the country.”
“We continue to stay true to our promise of affordable fares, on-time performance, courteous and hassle-free service, connecting people with the places they love.”
Goan authorities were similarly jubilant with today’s inauguration, with the Goan Minister for Tourism Rohan Khaunte taking to Twitter to say:
“Congratulations to All Goans as a New Chapter opens in Goan Aviation with the First Commercial Flight (Indigo Hyderabad-Goa) landing at Manohar International Airport, Mopa-Goa. Our Sunshine State now boasts Two International Airports.”
The airport authority similarly received the IndiGo flight enthusiastically. The newest Goan international airport was officially opened by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 11 2022.
IndiGo Facts and Figures
IndiGo is India’s largest airline in terms of fleet size and passenger uplift, with a stated market share of 55.7% as at November 2022.
- Market share of 55.7% as of November, 2022.
- Named as Aon Hewitt Best Employers India for the year 2016 and 2017
- Fleet of 280+ aircraft including 159 new generation A320 NEOs, 23 A320 CEOs, 36 ATRs and 77 A321 NEO.
- Best Low-Cost Airline, in India bySKYTRAX World AirlineAwards for 10 consecutive years (2010-2019)
- Recognized as ‘Great Place to Work’ for in India’ for 8 years in a row (2008- 2015) and for the 9th time in 2021.
- IndiGo has been ranked as the 4th most punctual airline globally in 2018, 6th most punctual airline globally in 2019 and 3rd most punctual airline globally in 2021 by OAG Punctuality League.
- IndiGo has been recognized among the most valuable and strongest airline brands worldwide, as per the Brand Finance Airlines 50 report for two consecutive years. We ranked #43 in year 2020 and moved up 7 positions to #36 in the year 2021.