Emirates activates codeshare with United to enhance US connectivity

A graphics of the tailplanes of an Emirate and United Airlines aircraft.
Image Credit: Emirates

Emirates and United Airlines have established a codeshare partnership, allowing Emirates customers to enjoy easier access to an expanded network of U.S. destinations.

Extended access to US network

Commencing today, Emirates customers will be able to fly to three of the United States major business hubs – Chicago, Houston or San Francisco – and connect easily to an expansive network of domestic U.S. points on flights operated by United.

With the launch of the partnership, Emirates customers will effectively be able to access more than 150 U.S. cities in the United network, via any of the three gateways.

Dubai and beyond for US customers

Similarly, Emirates customers in the U.S. planning trips to Dubai and beyond have a myriad of choices and can utilise United’s services to easily connect to Emirates operated flights bound for Dubai, via Chicago, Houston or San Francisco.

The world just got bigger for U.S. travelers journeying to Emirates’ extensive network beyond Dubai, including many unique destinations across the Middle East, Africa, Central Asia and the Indian subcontinent.

On the flights, passengers can enjoy Emirates’ award-winning services and a host of convenient travel benefits afforded by the agreement.

Travellers with itineraries on Emirates’ codeshare flights can plan their entire trip on a single-ticket and take advantage of the airline’s baggage allowance, in addition to convenient bag check-through to the final destination.

Emirates is also enabling its Skywards members to earn and redeem miles on all flights across United’s worldwide network.

The partnership unlocks a host of popular destinations accessible from Emirates gateways such as Atlanta, Austin, Denver, Minneapolis and Phoenix.

Emirates passengers planning trips to destinations such as Detroit, can fly direct from Dubai to Chicago or Houston, and simply connect on a United flight to the final destination, while enjoying the hassle-free flight benefits.

The reciprocal benefits extend to passengers flying out of the U.S. using Emirates services to fly to Dubai, with the same easy access from a vast network of domestic cities and connection at one of the three hubs. 

Adnan Kazim, Emirates’ Chief Commercial Officer commented: “We are extremely delighted to activate this historic partnership with United and significantly expand our footprint in the U.S.”

“United’s vast network across the Americas will help us to offer more choice to our customer base from across the globe, and meet demand from across segments including the leisure, VFR, corporate travellers and students.”

Dubai – US travel

There is traditionally a significant amount of reciprocal air travel between the United States and Dubai. Dubai is a major international hub for air travel, and several airlines offer regular flights between the US and Dubai.

According to data from the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics, in 2019 (pre-pandemic), there were approximately 1.5 million passengers who traveled between the US and Dubai.

Of those passengers, approximately 64% were on nonstop flights between the two destinations, while the remaining 36% traveled with at least one stopover.


Emirates and United have an interline arrangement that allows passengers to easily reach a wider choice of destinations in the Americas outside of the U.S.

Emirates customers will be able to choose from dozens more destinations in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America.

The agreement further provides conveniences such as the simplicity of flight itineraries on a single-ticket and smoother connections via the three U.S. hubs (Chicago, Houston and San Francisco).

Emirates currently offers services between its hub in Dubai and 12 U.S. cities, as well as five points across Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina.

By Len Varley - Assistant Editor 5 Min Read
5 Min Read
You Might Also Enjoy