airBaltic Sees Continued Strong Demand in March

Close-up of the nose of an airBaltic A220 aircraft.
Photo Credit: airBaltic

Latvia’s national airline, airBaltic, continues its positive momentum into the new year. In March 2024, they transported an impressive 360,700 passengers, reflecting a significant 24% increase compared to the same period in 2023.

This growth is particularly noteworthy considering the traditionally lower demand during the winter season.

Furthermore, airBaltic operated 3,600 flights in March, marking a 16% rise from the previous year.

March: Continued Growth and Network Expansion

“March saw a significant increase in passengers compared to the previous month, solidifying our position as the preferred airline in the Baltic States,” stated Martin Gauss, President and CEO of airBaltic.

To cater to this rising demand, airBaltic has plans for the upcoming summer season, offering a wider selection of new destinations across Europe.

This expansion is expected to generate a surge in passenger traffic to and from the Baltic region. Additionally, airBaltic identified strategic opportunities to expand its network in Central and Southeast Europe.

This includes adding some new destinations and increasing flight frequencies on popular existing routes across Europe. These enhancements seek to provide passengers with a greater variety of options for both business and leisure travel.

Record-Breaking 2023

airBaltic has enter the year clearly driving an agenda of continuous growth. This year, they plan to introduce a remarkable 18 new routes – with 8 departing from Latvia, 4 from Estonia, 5 from Lithuania, and 1 from Tampere, Finland.

This expansion extends their network to include seven new countries in the Balkan region, offering travelers a truly diverse selection of destinations.

Building on a successful 2023, airBaltic Group recently announced a record-breaking profit of EUR 34 million.

The airline also achieved impressive milestones in 2023, transporting over 4.5 million passengers and exceeding 44,000 flights.

A new airBaltic A220 on the tarmac at night
Photo Credit: airBaltic

airBaltic: A Regional Leader

airBaltic currently boasts a vast network of over 130 routes operating from Riga, Tallinn, Vilnius, Tampere, and seasonally, Gran Canaria.

These routes provide seamless connections to a multitude of destinations across Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and the Caucasus region.

Founded in 1995, airBaltic (Air Baltic Corporation AS) is a joint-stock company with the Latvian state as its primary shareholder (97.97%). The remaining shares are held by private investors (2.03%).

Over the past 28 years, airBaltic has established itself as a prominent and respected airline within the international aviation industry. They currently employ a workforce exceeding 2,500 dedicated professionals.

An airBaltic Airbus A220 on the taxiway.
Photo Credit: airBaltic

airBaltic takes pride in its young fleet, consisting entirely of 47 Airbus A220-300 aircraft. This commitment to modern technology positions them as one of the most advanced airlines in Europe.

Their dedication to excellence is further reflected by the numerous international awards they have received.

Notably, Skytrax has recognized airBaltic as the best airline in its region for two consecutive years. Additionally, the airline has been acknowledged for its diversity and inclusion efforts by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) in 2022.

Most recently, airBaltic received the APEX Passenger Choice Award for Best Cabin Service in Europe in 2023.

Click the banner to subscribe to our weekly newsleter.

Click the photo to join our WhatsApp channel so then you can stay up to date with everything going on in the aviation industry!

By Len Varley - Assistant Editor 4 Min Read
4 Min Read
You Might Also Enjoy