LONDON – The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority (GOAA) is presently monitoring the development of Tropical Storm Nicole and its impact on airport operations.
In an afternoon meeting with airline and airport officials it was decided that Orlando International Airport (MCO) will cease all commercial operations at 4 p.m. Wednesday, November 9th.
The Authority is reviewing expectations and the actions required with airlines to determine emergency operations plans over the next 24 hours to best judge when the situation will permit operations to resume.
Preparations continue to intensify both inside and outside the terminal at Orlando International Airport as Tropical Storm Nicole currently makes it way towards the east coast of Florida.
MCO Latest Information
Orlando International Airport have just released the following status information:
- Airport staff are currently prepping gate and curbside areas in advance of the storm.
- Multiple daily communications are ongoing with the National Weather Service / National Hurricane Center to track the storm.
- Multiple daily communications are ongoing with city, county, state and federal emergency management officials.
- Multiple daily communications are ongoing within the airport community to update storm readiness and provide the latest track of Nicole and details about storm projections.
- The airport Emergency Operations Center (EOC) has been activated at a modified level prior to full scale activation on Wednesday.
- Passengers are advised to contact their individual airlines and rental car companies for specific questions about flights, schedules and rental car return policies.
- GOAA is in the process of identifying multiple staff members to remain inside the terminal for the duration of the storm as part of a designated ride-out-crew. Their job will be to assess and address any damages that may occur and to help prepare the airport for operations again as soon as possible once the storm passes.
It is understood that Palm Beach International Airport will also cease flight operations today. Palm Beach County airport has ceased commercial flights at 9:00am local time.
Miami International Airport and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport remain open, however may be subject to delays and/or cancellations.
This is a developing story.